Wednesday 25 May 2011

Opinion and Question Column!

In an attempt to try and keep up with what's going on in the fast moving world of gaming, we at CDS Reviews have decided to start an opinion/question column which is hopefully going to be a weekly occurrence. Enjoy the first one!

What we have been playing

Dave: I've spent most of the week being abused by CoD: Black Ops on Veteran, it’s not actually that difficult in comparison to others in the series, just some points like the damn Vietnam mission take the Mickey. I’m pretty sure that the enemies didn’t have so much of a disposable army they could send the entire country in one battle. Aside from that, I’m quite enjoying going through the story again. Also started LA Noire on Saturday, I’m about 40% through it now, really enjoying the narrative, check for a review some time later in the near future. Lastly, I’ve been sneaking in a couple of hours on Pokemon White and I can see myself getting slowly dragged back in...I can’t stop grinding!

Craig: Generally my thumbs… Due to some rather unfortunate circumstances, I have been left without any kind of gaming console, not even a handheld, sad face. Prior to the end of the world, I had been playing a fair few local multiplayer games, such as FIFA 11 and fight night champion (tune in for a review later!). Playing FIFA 11 has led me to the ultimate conclusion that I’m terrible at football... Both in real life and in computer form. I’ve instead been playing a fair few ‘flash’ games on one of my favourite web sites (Sponsors are you reading?? Hint, hint). One game in particular called GIRP, a sequester to QWOP, has been my heroin as it provides the ultimate challenge of finger co-ordination and keyboard layout knowledge.

Games we’re looking forward to in the near future

Dave: Duke Nukem for me, in a way I’m finding myself a little sad it’s finally coming out, sort of how I felt when Chinese Democracy was released. Gearbox look to have sorted the title out and I’m seriously hoping for a Duke game to rival the Playstation era titles. It looks to be a game which knows it’s a game, and isn’t being pretentious; it’s just there to be enjoyed. It’s been a long time coming so let’s hope it’s worth the wait.

Craig: I would have to agree to with Dave on this one. I have been a fan of the Duke Nukem franchise since the age of 9 and I’m rather pleased to actually see this game hit the shelves. Over the years I thought It was just ironic to title the game “forever” as was taking ‘forever’ to be released… And without the help from gearbox and 2K games, I doubt this game would have ever seen daylight, well at least for a few more months/years. Otherwise, in the later quarters, I’m very excited, to say the least, for the release of Gears of war 3 and Battlefield 3 which both just look epic.

Anything interesting that’s caught eyes or ears in the news

Dave: PSN welcome back package, two free games out of a choice of five. Great for me who only plays exclusive which catch my eye (likes of Heavy Rain and God of War 3), so I’m thinking of picking up Little Big Planet and Infamous. I understand many PS3 gamers are annoyed as they already own/have owned most of the giveaway games but for me it’s a pleasant surprise and an opportunity to play games I probably would have missed.

Craig: Whilst everyone was speculating how Sony was going to ‘apologise’ to their customers for the recent network breach, some unfortunate boffin had to calculate the total losses for the duration of the shut down. It is speculated that the total coast will be somewhere around $24 billion, now considering Sony made just $77.5 billion in revenue last year, that’s a lot of money to lose for just 2 weeks. Also, modern warfare 3 has just been announced followed by a flood of viral videos on youtube, it’s the last in the series  and is expected to wrap up everything in a nice little bow.

Sam: Well, the very recently announced Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 has me, once again, salivating at the thought of some new CoD action. I'm only recently getting over my disappointment of Black Ops to find it quite enjoyable now. The Modern Warfare series has a history of good maps, innovative new weapons and perks, immersive solo gameplay and... well, damn good maps! The reveal trailer, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coiTJbr9m04) shows a graphical improvement and revealed hints of what looks to be a truly explosive campaign mode. Looks like it'll be able to give Battlefield 3 a run for its money! And if you haven't seen the BF3 'Fault Line' Trailer yet, watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zw8SmsovJc

*SIDE NOTE FROM DAVE*

I wrote my news  piece before the MW3 gameplay trailer was released and OH MY GOD. I’ve been a fan of CoD since the first PC instalment and quite enjoy the single player on them all, apart from when they become a grind fest (CoD 5: Grenades at War, I’m looking at you here) As much as the trailer looked like a Michael Bay film I was instantly grabbed and frankly November can’t come around quick enough.

The callused thumbed people at CDS Reviews are:

Dave Pickering: Xbox Live Tag - TTP Penguin
Craig McBeth: Xbox Live Tag - TTP Genesis
Sam Marshall: Xbox Live Tag - TTP Zeppelin


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wordpress Themes | Bloggerized by Free Blogger Templates | Macys Printable Coupons